Support to the Coast Guard in 2019
Scholarship and Education
• Invested more than $386,000 in scholarships for 139 Coast Guard children attending college, and expanded grant programs to assist 300 Coast Guard spouses and enlisted members who are actively engaged in degree program and professional development activities.
• Provided more than $127,000 in support to the Coast Guard Academy corps of cadets for leadership training, academic enrichment, and athletic training, as well as a grant from the CGF Robert J. Flynn Pathway to Achievement Fund, which promotes diversity and inclusion efforts across campus.
• Provided more than $575,000 in $100 grants to Coast Guard members during the government shutdown in early 2019 to help cover necessities. Our partner, the Coast Guard Chief Petty Officers Association, delivered this aid to those who needed it most during this challenging, stressful time.
• Distributed tragedy and disaster relief support totaling more than $110,000 through two outreach programs, which helped 22 Coast Guard families, including eight whose homes were destroyed by fire at Sector New York’s housing area.
• Hosted a series of hurricane readiness workshops for all Coast Guard members and families stationed in the south Florida area. In total, 850 active duty Coast Guard members and 250 dependents attend the workshops, representing 23 Coast Guard units and tenant commands.
• Launched a youth enrichment pilot program in Hawaii to support Coast Guard families attending summer and fall break camps. Grants totaling more than $19,000 made these enrichment activities a reality for 51 Coast Guard kids living in this remote area.
• Provided more than $1.3 million in morale, wellness, and recreation support to Coast Guard members so they have the resources they need to remain ready for service. This initiative funded 300 projects at 220 separate Coast Guard units across the country.
• Raised more than $50,000 through our Run to Remember program with runs, walks, and trail events, to help Coast Guard members and families during their most difficult times. These events included an Ironman Triathlon in Hawaii completed by LT Duane Zitta, a series of Aviation Workout to Remember events, and Jake’s Run to Remember in Norristown,Pennsylvania.
• Welcomed more than 3,200 guests, including more than 760 Coast Guard members, at tributes across the country, to recognize those who serve for their honor, respect and devotion to duty.
• Funded 26 individual professional licensing and certification classes across the country through our workforce development program, providing a way for 286 Coast Guard members to earn their Captain’s License and credentials in other critical areas.
• Launched a pilot program with the Coast Guard’s Family Child Care as an incentive to Coast Guard spouses to open certified daycare centers in Coast Guard housing communities, which employ spouses and provide child care coverage for Coast Guard families.