Skip to content

Coast Guard Cutter Horne Commissioned in Honor of Fallen Hero

Jen Fyke Web
by Jennifer Crowley Fyke
March 26, 2019

Coast Guard cutter TERRELL HORNE was commissioned as the 31st Fast Response Cutter at a ceremony at Coast Guard Base Los Angeles-Long Beach on March 22. Coast Guard Foundation board members Bob Montgomery and Dick Symons presented a $10,000 gift to Commanding Officer Lieutenant John Beal for the crew to begin its morale and wellness fund.

The cutter is named for BMCS Terrell Horne III who died from injuries sustained while conducting maritime law enforcement operations off the California coast in December 2012. He was the Executive Petty Officer aboard the Coast Guard Cutter HALIBUT at the time. For his heroic actions, Horne was posthumously promoted to senior chief petty officer.

Following Senior Chief Horne’s death, the Coast Guard Foundation’s Fallen Heroes program assisted his family and shipmates, and through the Fallen Heroes Scholarship program, all three of Senior Chief Horne’s children will be able to attend the college of their choice, with 100% of higher education costs covered by the Coast Guard Foundation, when they’ve graduated from high school.

The commissioning was attended by Horne’s immediate and extended family, including his parents, widow and three children.

Coast Guard Foundation president Susan Ludwig was in attendance and remarked, “It was wonderful to meet the Horne family at this solemn ceremony and wrap our arms around them- literally and figuratively- and reinforce our commitment to being there for them now, and when they need us in the future.”

From Coast Guard Heroes, a Coast Guard Compass blog post:

"Terrell Edwin Horne III was born in Mountain View, California, on Oct. 26, 1978. He attended Patterson High School in Patterson, California, and enlisted in the U.S. Coast Guard on Feb. 2, 1999.

Through his career, Horne, a boatswain’s mate, served at Coast Guard Stations Emerald Isle, Humboldt Bay and Charleston, and also sailed aboard Coast Guard Cutter Dallas. He earned two Coast Guard Achievement Medals, qualified for the boat forces operational insignia and the cutterman’s insignia and rose to the rank of Chief Petty Officer.

On Dec. 2, 2012, Horne was serving as the Executive Petty Officer aboard Coast Guard Cutter Halibut, operating out of Marina Del Rey, California. He died from injuries sustained while conducting maritime law enforcement operations off the California coast.

Cutter Halibut was investigating a panga-type vessel suspected of narcotics smuggling after it was detected by a Coast Guard maritime patrol aircraft. When Halibut’s small boat approached, the suspect panga-type vessel maneuvered at a high rate of speed directly towards the small boat and struck it before fleeing the scene.

At the last minute, in an attempt to safeguard his fellow crewman, Horne pushed him away from the collision. Despite this effort, Horne and the other crew member went overboard. Injured, both were immediately recovered.

While the other crew member had minor injuries, it was quite apparent that Horne had sustained a traumatic head injury. Cutter Halibut’s crew quickly recovered the small boat and boarding team and immediately administered first aid. Halibut returned to port where emergency medical service units pronounced Horne deceased.

Coast Guard assets later successfully interdicted the fleeing panga-type vessel, boarded it and detained two suspects.

Terrell Horne III stood the watch on the front lines of Coast Guard operations throughout his nearly 14 years of active duty. Throughout his Coast Guard service, his professionalism and commitment, like those before him, ensured that the Coast Guard was always ready to answer the nation’s call.

For his heroic actions Terrell Horne III was posthumously promoted to senior chief petty officer."