The Coast Guard Foundation hosted its Pacific Northwest Awards Dinner in Seattle on September 19, 2019 at the Bell Harbor International Convention Center.
The 2019 Heroic Action Award was presented to the crew of CGNR-6596 from Air Station Port Angeles for their rescue of a hiker who had fallen down a cliff on the southern end of Obstruction Island, Washington.
LT Jacob Marks, who piloted the helicopter, spoke at the event about the unique circumstances of the case and what it meant to him and his fellow Coast Guard members.
“This particular rescue combined so many elements, and so many challenging conditions,” shared Marks. “I am proud to be a part of this crew, executing this rescue in very demanding conditions and allowing us to bring (the survivor) home. I appreciate the work the Coast Guard Foundation does...honoring us, taking care of us. It’s been the highlight of my career so far, and the rest of the crew agrees...thank you Coast Guard Foundation for everything you do.”
The Coast Guard Foundation honored long-time supporter and Life Trustee Douglas Bart Eaton. Eaton’s personal contributions, combined with those from affiliated organizations, stretch back twenty-five years and total $500,000 in support. In particular, he has been a strong ally of the Foundation’s morale and wellness programs and disaster relief responses. Most recently, he was a key contributor to the Foundation’s effort to assist Coast Guard members during the government shutdown.
Admiral Karl Schultz, Coast Guard Commandant, served as the event’s keynote speaker.
“To all the leadership of the Coast Guard Foundation, thank you...on behalf of the 55,000 men and women in the Coast Guard, our hats off to you and the Coast Guard Foundation,” said Schultz.
Other Event Highlights:
- Rear Admiral Jack Vogt, Commander of the 13th Coast Guard District, shared remarks and introduced the Honor Guard from Coast Guard Base Seattle.
- A Coast Guard canine unit was on-hand to explain the team's mission and demonstrated one of the dog’s training routines.
- An event committee of local volunteers coordinated the silent and live auctions, and raffle. Raffle and auction items included prizes like Seattle Seahawks gear, ‘Wines of Washington’ collections, and cruise packages from Holland America Line and Windstar Cruises that included airfare and land accommodations. Thank you to our committee members: Natalie Drain, Peggy Duxbury, Mike Inman, Cynthia Reed, Terry Thomas, John Veentjar, Debra Walker and Mike White.
- The Coast Guard Band Brass Quintet provided ceremonial music and performed a medley of military service songs as the event finale.
- Brad Goode served as master of ceremonies for the event.