2019 DC Dinner Recap
The Coast Guard Foundation’s 15th Annual Tribute to the Coast Guard in our Nation’s Capital, held June 4 in Washington, DC at the National Building Museum, celebrated and honored the organization’s fifty years of support to the men and women of the United States Coast Guard.
More than 500 people attended the signature event that raised in excess of $632,000 for the Coast Guard Foundation.
The Honorable Norman Mineta, former Secretary of Transportation and the Honorable Tom Ridge, former Secretary of Homeland Security, served as honorary dinner chairs and were recognized for their service to the nation, and their leadership of the Coast Guard.
Keynote remarks were delivered by Acting Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security, VADM David Pekoske, USCG (Ret.).
In recognition of the Coast Guard Foundation’s fifty years of service, ADM Karl Schultz and Admiral Charles Ray presented the organization with the United States Coast Guard’s Distinguished Public Service Award.
“For half a century, day in and day out, the Coast Guard Foundation has demonstrated that you have our backs. We never stand alone...it is our honor, our privilege, to recognize our Coast Guard Foundation,” shared Admiral Schultz. “On behalf of the entire service, on behalf of all of our families, I thank you for your commitment, your generosity, and your support. This is our first fifty years -- I’m excited as we blaze a trail on our next fifty years together.”
The many successes we celebrate on an annual basis would not be possible without the terrific things the Coast Guard Foundation does for us.
Admiral Karl Schultz, Coast Guard Commandant
Coast Guard Foundation President Susan Ludwig shared that the DC event has cumulatively raised more than $11.5 million since its inception. Much thanks and appreciation was extended to dinner committee chairs Corrine Kosar and Thad Allen, and the many volunteers who work to make the event successful each year.
“Our future has never looked brighter thanks to all of you!”
Other event highlights:
- Full photo album can be viewed, downloaded here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEhj5sN
- Cheniere Energy served as the Dinner Sponsor and Huntington Ingalls Industries sponsored the cocktail reception;
- Crystal Cruises donated an all-expense-paid vacation for two people; the live auction was a lively exchange that raised additional funds for Coast Guard Foundation programs;
- Kyra Phillips, ABC News, and Admiral Thad Allen, USCG (Ret.), served as the evening’s masters of ceremony;
- Leidos, a generous corporate donor, was acknowledged for its lead support of the Coast Guard Foundation’s matching gift campaign;
- Geico was thanked for its support of the Coast Guard Foundation’s pilot program that supports the Coast Guard’s Family Child Care program, expanding in-home child care opportunities around the country;
- The United States Coast Guard Band performed a selection of music that celebrated the Service and our Nation, and a medley of all military service songs, an enduring tradition at Coast Guard Foundation events.