Apply Now: Education Grants for Enlisted Coast Guard Members
For enlisted Coast Guard members, higher education costs add up, especially when you consider books, equipment, and investments beyond tuition. The G.I. Bill and Coast Guard tuition assistance programs help with some necessary costs, but there remain gaps in funding that cause additional barriers to higher education. The Coast Guard Foundation offers grants so members can earn their degrees.
Eligible Coast Guard members can use the $500 grants to defray the cost of tuition, fees, and supply expenses incurred from their studies.
2021 Enlisted Education Grant Open Season: Active-duty enlisted Coast Guard members in pay grades E3-E6 may apply for grants to support their professional training, certification, and higher education.
The Coast Guard Foundation works with the Coast Guard’s Education and Training Quota Management Command (ETQC) to collect applications and required documentation, and to verify eligibility. The application and additional program details are available online. Education Service Officers are available to answer specific eligibility questions and guide Coast Guard members through the process.
The education grant program is open on a rolling deadline; applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis until available funding is expended. Members are required to submit documentation at the time of application to substantiate their qualifying expenses.
Eligible applicants are:
- Coast Guard Active Duty enlisted members serving in pay grades E-3 through E-6; or
- Selective Reserve (SELRES) members on long-term active duty orders of 180 days, or more;
- Actively enrolled in, or have completed within 12 months of the application, a professional development, licensing, certification, or undergraduate / graduate-level course.
Eligible expenses include:
- Tuition not covered by a tuition assistance program, fees, textbook costs, taxes, and shipping charges;
- Direct expenses like computers, supplies, transportation, and other necessities needed to complete a class or training.