The annual Workout to Remember event is all about working out, honoring Coast Guard fallen heroes, and supporting families. You can find all the details for the February 28 Workout of the Day (WOD) right here.
The Workout: The 6535 Memorial Workout was created to honor the four crewmembers from Coast Guard helicopter CG-6535 who were lost in a February 28, 2012, crash in Mobile, Ala. The reps 65 and 35 represents the helicopter’s tail number, with one round designated for each member of the crew. All are encouraged to participate in this year’s WOD as individuals and teams, and the workout can be modified or scaled as needed. Detail on how to scale and modify the workout can be found here. The workout is:
65 air squats
35 burpee pull-ups
Honoring Fallen Heroes: On February 28, 2013, Coast Guard members from Air Station New Orleans and the surrounding community gathered to pay tribute to their fallen shipmates by completing a “Hero Workout” dedicated to the memory of those lost in the CG-6535 helicopter crash one year earlier. Word quickly spread and by 2014 CrossFit boxes, gyms, Coast Guard units, and groups of inspired fitness enthusiasts from across the country joined in the workout. Now in its tenth year, the workout honors all Coast Guard aviators who died in the line of duty.
Supporting Families: Proceeds from the Workout to Remember support the Coast Guard Foundation’s Fallen Heroes Scholarship program, which provides full scholarships to the surviving children of Coast Guard members killed in operational deaths. Participants can collect donations, purchase a special t-shirt, and complete the workout. Since its inception, the workout effort has raised more than $20,000 to help send children of Coast Guard fallen heroes to college, worry-free.
How can you join the 2022 U.S. Coast Guard Aviation Workout to Remember?
- Spread the word. Bring the WOD to your gym or Coast Guard unit and organize a group to complete the workout on February 28. Learn about additional workouts on the USCG Aviation to Workout Facebook page.
- Contribute to the effort by purchasing a commemorative t-shirt.
- Support the cause by making a donation to the Fallen Heroes Scholarship program.
- Purchase a pre-workout coffee blend from partner Humble Beginnings Coffee.
- Share workout results on Facebook: @uscgaviationwodtoremember or Instagram:@cgwodtoremember. Use hashtags #cgwodtoremember #2022heroworkoutchallenge #fallenheroes #weremember to tag your posts.