Highlights from Heroes of the Coast Guard Broadcast
The Coast Guard Foundation’s second annual Heroes of the Coast Guard broadcast premiered on Sept. 14, with two airings to support our viewers across the country.
The program showcased Coast Guard operations in more than a dozen locations, including rescues off the coast of Florida and New Jersey and behind-the-scenes looks at daily life for members who serve in California, Michigan, and Louisiana.
In-depth features highlighted the Coast Guard Foundation’s investment in member resilience and family community building, like a day at a horse ranch for Coast Guard families from Sector San Diego and renovations to the morale cottages at Hillsboro Lighthouse in Florida.
“Much of the work we do centers around supporting Coast Guard members and families,” shared Susan Ludwig, Coast Guard Foundation president. “Helping to get families together at the ranch, or for a quality family break at the lighthouse…it all strengthens bonds and shores up families who are often faced with long stretches of time apart when their Coast Guard members are away on active duty.”
The broadcast also included segments on:
- Admiral Linda Fagan’s groundbreaking Coast Guard service;
- Coast Guard Foundation’s Run to Remember events;
- Resiliency training and the suicide prevention pilot program in the Coast Guard’s 1st District;
- Coast Guard service dogs in action;
- How the Coast Guard Foundation honors the service at events around the country;
- In-depth interviews with Susan Ludwig that feature the Foundation’s key areas of support;
- Personal thank you notes from scholarship recipients.
If you missed the broadcast or simply want to watch it again, the complete program is available at coastguardfoundation.org/heroesbroadcast.
“Our ‘Heroes of the Coast Guard’ broadcast is just a start to showing Coast Guard members’ bravery,” noted Susan. “This is just the beginning of the story…I really want to say ‘thank you’ to our entire Coast Guard Foundation community- our supporters, the service, the families - for coming together and showing up for the U. S. Coast Guard and our Nation.”