2020 Summer Youth Enrichment for Coastie Campers
An invitation to San Diego and Pt. Mugu-based Coast Guard families to participate in a pilot program this summer
>>9/10/2020 >> We are excited to announce that our grant deadline is expanded to 9/30 and we have funds available to support Pt. Mugu and San Diego-based Coast Guard families.<<
>>7/15/2020 >> All grants for Hawaii-based families have been awarded.<<
Planning your kids’ summer activities is often a challenge, and this year, it’s even more interesting to plan how to keep your kids busy during these summer months. We recognize that many summer camps and enrichment programs are just not opening this year. Or, you may simply have concerns about signing up your kids, even if there is a camp offered in your community.
Our 2020 summer camp grant program now includes traditional summer camp, and at-home enrichment opportunities, and technology that may help you keep your Coastie Camper engaged and thriving during their school break.
Eligible Coast Guard members may apply for a $500 grant to cover the cost for your child’s summer camp registration, at-home or virtual enrichment program fees, or new software and hardware that will help with your at-home learning experiences. Simply put, this a chance to pay for camp, sign up for a virtual-camp experience, or purchase a Chromebook, iPad, Kindle, or VR glasses, to name a few options.
To maximize this opportunity for as many Coast Guard families we can, we will limit the grant opportunity to one grant per family.
Our Coast Guard Foundation program team is here to assist you with any questions you may about this summer's offering.
Please reach out to Ms. Sage Williams by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can help guide you through the process.
One of the most challenging aspects of life in the Coast Guard is balancing the responsibilities of duty and family. Because of these challenges, the Coast Guard Foundation regularly looks for ways to ease the burden on Coast Guard families. Our families also face unique challenges, as they live in remote or expensive coastal locations often without the benefit of on-base housing or childcare.
The Coast Guard Foundation Summer Youth Enrichment Program is made possible through the generosity of Norwegian Cruise Line, the Sahm Family Foundation, and First Hawaiian Bank.
SOME FINE PRINT
>>Program Specifics and Eligibility Requirements
- DEERS certified dependent child of an active-duty enlisted or officer personnel stationed in San Diego in pay grades E-2 to E-8, O1-O3, W2-W3.
- DEERS certified dependent child of a Reservist stationed in San Diego or Pt. Mugu (pay grades E-2 to E-8, O1-O3, W2-W3) on any type of active duty orders for at least one year in duration.
- Dependent children must be aged 5-18 years old.
- Each qualified child is eligible for up to a $500 grant.
>>How to Apply
- The Coast Guard Foundation Summer Youth Enrichment Program open application period is May 1-August 31, 2020, now extended to September 30, 2020, as funds remain.
- Applications must be completed and submitted online coastguardfoundation.org/coastiecamper
- Proof of enrollment and payment receipt for camp and enrichment activities and technology purchases will be submitted after receiving your grant. Required documentation includes the cost of the activity, such as a flyer or brochure, or a letter from the organization, which clearly states the program's cost and the program dates. Proof of payment includes a copy of a receipt or email notification of payment.
- If you have a question about the camp or program your child is participating in or the required documentation, please email the Coast Guard Foundation. We are working remotely and cannot receive phone calls at this time.
- A copy of your DEERS/MilConnect Service member profile page is required with your application to verify eligibility.
- Grants are awarded in the order in which they are received.
- All selection results are final.
- Submitting an application does not guarantee funding of a grant.
- All grant recipients will be notified by the Coast Guard Foundation of their selection of an award. Selected applicants will be contacted directly by email or phone and then sent a formal letter via mail to their home address.
- Periodic changes may influence the funding levels of these grants. As a result, the Coast Guard Foundation does not guarantee the future funding levels for this program. The Coast Guard Foundation reserves the right to reduce or discontinue any award due to the non-availability of funding, without advance notice.