$1,000 Grants Available to Coast Guard Spouses through Pilot Program
OPEN APPLICATION PERIOD
Coast Guard Foundation Family Child Care (FCC) Program Grant Program
As Coast Guard families prepare for a new school year amidst the challenges of online learning and COVID-19, parents are seeking quality, local, affordable childcare options for before and after school, and for children younger than school-aged.
The Coast Guard Foundation, in partnership with the United States Coast Guard, has launched a pilot program designed to assist Coast Guard spouses in housing locations. We want to help you open your own child care home business. It's a win-win for you-- and for Coast Guard families who need affordable, quality child care.
In our first round of funding, we provided grants to Coast Guard spouses in Cape May and Staten Island government-housing.
Are you a Coast Guard spouse living in Coast Guard housing?
Are you interested in opening up your own Family Child Care business?
This pilot program is made possible by a generous grant from GEICO, a strong supporter of America’s military families.
We have the opportunity to help set up fourteen family child care centers at this time.
By offering affordable and flexible childcare to Coast Guard members, the program will provide employment opportunities for spouses and reinforce the Coast Guard culture of members helping members.
There are a couple basic requirements to qualify for a $1,000 grant.
- Make contact with the local Child Development Services Coordinator (CDSS) in your area to start the process of becoming a certified child care provider- contact information detailed below.
- Submit a grant application for consideration once you have received provisional certification.
Once you have earned provisional status from the Coast Guard’s Child Development Services Coordinator (CDSS) and are ready to start-up your Family Child Care program, your Coast Guard Foundation grant can be approved. Eligible, qualifying expenses include:
- Liability insurance
- CPR/First aid training certification
- CEUs and other child development training classes
- Teaching supplies and toys, baby care equipment and gear
- Marketing materials, enrollment paperwork
- Cleaning services, carpet and otherwise, to prepare your physical space
- State licensing costs (California)
How can I apply to be an FCC provider? Coast Guard spouses residing in Coast Guard-owned housing who are interested in the FCC grant may contact their local Child Development Services Coordinator (CDSS) listed below for information about becoming a certified FCC provider.
DISTRICT 1 Maura Redy 718-354-4404 Maura.Redy@uscg.mil
DISTRICT 5 Valanda Weston 609-898-6384 Valanda.M.Weston@uscg.mil
DISTRICT 11 Kelly Smitherman 503-861-6242 Kelly.M.email@example.com
DISTRICT 13 Renee Montandon 510 437-6662 Renee.Montandon@uscg.mil
DISTRICT 17 Heather Russell 907-487-5481 ext 6924 Heather.M.Russell@uscg.mil
Access the application directly here: CGF-FCC GRANT APPLICATION
What does the Coast Guard require for FCC provider certification?
- Live in Coast Guard housing;
- Be a spouse and authorized resident in Coast Guard controlled housing;
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be able to speak, read, and write English;
- Have a high school diploma, or the equivalent;
- Successfully complete background check for child care providers;
- Obtain a health screening and be in good health to provide care to active groups of children;
- Be able to understand children’s developmental needs;
- Be able to lift 40 pounds;
- Agree in writing to the requirements of the FCC program;
- Obtain liability insurance for the Family Child Care home.
It is our hope that this pilot program will provide new childcare options for Coast Guard families, and provide employment for Coast Guard spouses, both of which are core areas of Coast Guard Foundation support.
For more information, please reach out to our points of contact: Renee L Podolec, Child Development Program Manager, 202-475-5160, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ms. Sage Williams, Program Director, 860-535-0786, email@example.com.