The Coast Guard Foundation will host its 28th Annual Pacific Area Awards Dinner in tribute to the United States Coast Guard at 6 p.m. on Thursday, April 25, 2013 at the historic Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco.
The dinner honors the brave men and women serving in the Coast Guard's Pacific area who are responsible for protecting our shores, enforcing maritime law, and preserving our environment from the west coast of the U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, and Pacific territories such as Guam and American Samoa.
The master of ceremonies for the evening will be Coast Guard Foundation Trustee Gary Jobson, voice of America's Cup sailing and former chairman of U.S. Sailing. Mr. Jobson will share his thoughts and reflections on the 2013 America's Cup race. A world-class sailor, television commentator, and author, Mr. Jobson is a member of the National Sailing Hall of Fame and the America's Cup Hall of Fame, won the Americas Cup in 1977 and the 1999 Nathanael G. Herreshoff Trophy — US Sailing's most prestigious award.
"Every day, the brave men and women of the United States Coast Guard take to the sea with all its unpredictability; they rescue those in need in the most difficult conditions; see cargo ships to port; and are our first line of defense in the face of everything from storms to oil spills, drug smugglers to poachers," said Anne Brengle, president of the Coast Guard Foundation. "They keep us afloat, preserving the pleasures and pastimes and professions which depend on safe waters. It is the mission of the Coast Guard Foundation to enhance the lives of these servicemen and women, and the families who support them."
The Pacific Area Awards raises important funds for the brave men and women of the Coast Guard, as well as their families. Joining the Foundation at the event are civic and business leaders, sailors, and luminaries of San Francisco.
Michael Nerney, from the Port of San Francisco,is the dinner chairman. Joining him are committee members Jim Andrasick, Al Bernard, Roberta Economidis, Paul Erickson, Paul Gugg, John Gumas, Doug Holm, Leo Paul Koulos, Stein Kruse, Joseph Lerer, Joe Nowak and Gary Vrionis.
The honorary committee includes:
- Commander Pacific Area, US Coast Guard Vice Admiral Paul Zukunft
- State of California Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom
- City of San Francisco Mayor Edwin M. Lee and First Lady Anita Lee
- Former US Secretary of State, The Honorable George P. Shultz
- State of California Chief of Protocol Charlotte Mailliard Shultz
- City of San Francisco Police Department Chief Greg Suhr
- City of San Francisco Fire Department Chief Joanne Hayes-White
- Port of San Francisco Executive Director Monique Moyer
- Cliff House Restaurant Proprietor Dan Hountalas
- Coast Guard Foundation Board Member Kevin O'Connell
- Coast Guard Foundation Honored Guest Mrs. Warren Titus
- America's Cup Race Management Chief Executive Officer Iain Murray